Q. Why are the tornado sirens going off?

A. The tornado warning sirens are activated by an emergency dispatch center located in Glendale Heights. When a tornado warning is issued, the sirens are activated to alert the public that a tornado has either been sighted by a trained spotter or that the National Weather Service has indicated one on radar. You are to take cover immediately in a basement or center room with no windows in your house. PLEASE do not call the Police or Fire Stations as the personnel on duty become very busy at this time. Turn on an AM radio or television for weather updates and wait for an ALL CLEAR to be reported. Sirens are tested on the first Tuesday of each month.

Q. How often should I change the battery in my smoke detector?

A. Batteries in smoke detectors should be changed twice a year, it is easy to remember that when you change your clocks to change your smoke detector battery also.

Q. What should I do if my Carbon Monoxide Defector goes off?

A. Keep all windows and doors closed, exit the house and call 911 from a neighbor's house or from your cell phone. Doors and windows are closed so that the fire department can get an actual reading and try to locate the problem. If the house is vented, the fire department will detect lower readings if there is a problem.

Q. How often should I have my fireplace and furnace checked?

A. Have your furnace cleaned and checked once a year by a trained technician, also have them check your furnace and gas water heater for proper venting. Wood burning fireplaces should also be cleaned once a year to remove any soot build up which becomes flammable. Have the chimney sweep check the mortar joints in a brick fireplace for any cracking or open joints.

Q. Are outside fires or burning allowed in Bartlett?

A. The Village of Bartlett prohibits the burning of leaves, yard waste and trash outdoors. Outdoor fireplaces which have a lid and/or a spark arrester are allowed but are to be used for recreational purposes only. Fireplace logs are the only wood that is allowed to be used.

Q. Who should I call to get my fire extinguisher re-charged?

A. The fire department does not fill fire extinguishers. Most household fire extinguishers are disposable and cannot be re-charged because the cylinders are made of plastic. Metal fire extinguishers can be re-charged by a fire extinguisher company which you can find in the Yellow Pages.

Q. How do I get rid of old cans of paint, gasoline or other household hazardous waste?

A. The Bartlett Fire Protection District does not take household-hazardous waste products. Check with the County that you live in to inquire whether or not a designated hazardous waste disposal drop-off location has been established for your area. DO NOT THROW THESE ITEMS IN THE TRASH.

Q. Why does a fire engine respond if I call for an ambulance?

A. The Bartlett Fire Protection District's front line fire engines and ladder trucks are Advanced Life Support licensed by the Illinois Department of Public Health. There is at least one or two licensed paramedics on these vehicles to start initiating care if they should arrive before the ambulance. The crews also assist the paramedics with lifting patients and assisting with medical care to ensure you are given the best treatment possible.

Q. What should I do if my fire alarm goes off in my home or commercial building that I work or visit?

A. Anytime a fire alarm goes off you are to evacuate the building until the fire department arrives on the scene and gives an all clear that the building is safe to return to. DO NOT RESET THE ALARM. The fire department will not be able to determine what the cause of the activation was.

If you have any other questions in regards to fire safety or operations of the Bartlett Fire Protection District, please call 630.837.3701 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.